Study 3 of 13 on The Teachings of Jesus
“It wasn’t the mighty works of God in Nature that calmed Elijah’s troubled soul….it was the voice so still with power that it cut through his fear and moved him. That voice, both still and powerful, speaks today…but often times our human religiosity keeps us from listening.” –Falvo Fowler
Scriptural Basis: Matt. 12:31, 32; Luke 11:9–13; John 3:5–8; 14:16–18, 26; 15:26; 16:8.
Key Text: ” ‘I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever’ ” (John 14:16, NKJV).
1. In what ways have you experienced the reality of the Holy Spirit?
2. Jesus referred to the Holy Spirit as the “Comforter.” In what sense was that name so appropriate?
3. What are some of the actions of the Holy Spirit that show us He is a Person?
4. What work does the Holy Spirit do to prepare us to accept the Savior?
5. What was the focus of Jesus’ promise of the Holy Spirit after His resurrection?
6. If someone asked you, Have you ever been “filled with the Spirit,” what would you answer, and why?